Industrial Hemp/CBD

New! Industrial Hemp Program Registration/License list

Here is a list of the industrial hemp growers, processors and registered products in Utah. This list is updated weekly if there are new entries in any of the categories.

Hemp Products Registration List

Hemp Grower Registration List

Hemp Processor Registration List

The Laws

4-41 Hemp and Cannabidiol Act

  • Individuals can cultivate and process industrial hemp if they are licensed by the Department.
  • Individuals can market industrial hemp and industrial hemp products provided the products have been registered by the Department
  • Cannabidiol (CBD) products may be sold around the state of Utah, provided they are registered with the Department.  

The Rules

All applicants are expected to have read all applicable industrial hemp rules prior to submitting an application.

R68-24 Industrial Hemp Research Pilots Program for Growers

R68-25 Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program for Processors

R68-26 Industrial Hemp Product Registration and Labeling 

Frequently Asked Questions

Industrial Hemp FAQs

Cannabis Sativa L. that has less than 0.3% THC.
Marijuana is cannabis that contains over 0.3% THC.
Industrial Hemp and Medical Marijuana come from the same genus plant. Similar to the difference between Sweet Corn and Field Corn.  They are both corn, but the purposes are different.  Both products look similar to each other and contain many of the same chemical compounds, however, the concentration of compounds in the two plant species can be vastly different. The legal difference is the amount of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) the plant contains.  If the cannabis plant contains more than 0.3% THC it is considered Marijuana.
The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food was identified as the department in the best position to provide regulatory oversight for the identification, cultivation, processing, testing and distribution of hemp-based products.
State law allows for individuals and universities to grow industrial hemp, provided they are licensed by the Department. The Department is currently working on establishing the rules for licensure. Once the rules are in place an individual may apply for a license.  If all requirements are met, the Department may issue a license.
Please read the following from USDA
The purpose of the law is to make sure the product being sold is free from harmful contaminants and matches the label requirements. The Department has established rules for the sale and purchase of CBD oil in the state.  CBD oil registered with the Department, meeting all testing, labeling and other requirements as established by rule, may be purchased in the state of Utah.
The Department has established rules governing the registration of CBD products. Any person seeking to register their product must submit an application. See the Industrial Hemp program information and application below.
The product must be registered before it can legally be sold in the state of Utah. Either the manufacturer or the distributor may register the product.
These reports are submitted through the same process as when you first registered as a grower. First go to the "Cannabis Programs" page (found under any of the navigation bar categories, i.e. Farmers, Businesses, Consumers, or Popular Pages). Scroll down until you find the "Industrial Hemp Program Information and Application" bar. Click on it to expand the box and scroll to the bottom to find the link called "Click here to access the industrial hemp application". You can also just click here.
You are not alone my friend. Many have run into this issue. The best way to fix this is to clear your browser history or open an incognito or private window in your web browser. Click here for instructions on how to do this.
Yes, each product SKU registration is $200.
Yes, even if each product line is using the same batch of CBD oil, you will need a separate COA.
FBI background checks must be completed before applying by going to See the EDO website for instructions. There is an $18 fee and you will need to print and mail the forms along with your fingerprint card. EDO will then respond to the request via email. You will need to go to your local jurisdiction to be fingerprinted. The completed background check used in applying for an industrial hemp license must have been issued no longer than 90 days prior to submitting your grower application.
7 main things we look for on the product labels
  • Brand name

  • Amount of hemp derived contents (mg)

  • Supplement facts

  • Other ingredients

  • Manufacture address

  • Suggested use

  • QR code or website that links customer to COA

7 main things we look for on the Certificate of Analysis (COA)

  • Picture of the product being tested
  • All of the batch/lot information
  • Heavy metal testing
  • Solvent testing
  • Microbial testing
  • Cannabinoid profile
    • Percent of product by dry weight (in mg)
  • Pesticide testing