Limited Medical Provider (LMP)
Utah-licensed physicians (MD, DO), advanced practice registered nurses, physician assistants, and podiatrists who are licensed to prescribe a controlled substance may provide a recommendation for medical cannabis to a qualifying patient who is age 21 or over. An LMP may recommend medical cannabis to up to 15 qualifying patients. The process must be completed as described below.
To register for LMP webinar training select this link.
*Note: To learn more about the LMP recommendation select the ‘+’ symbol to the right of the topic below*
*updated January 2022
STEP 1: Patient Meets Face-to-Face with a Medical Provider. Patients must be 21 years or older and have a qualifying condition to receive a recommendation. Once a qualifying condition is confirmed, LMPs must use the Limited Medical Provider Recommendation for Medical Cannabis form. The form can be downloaded here. The form can be submitted to a medical cannabis pharmacy through an encrypted email, secure fax, or delivered by the patient. If emailed by someone other than the LMP, the LMP must be copied on the email. A list of medical cannabis pharmacy locations and corresponding contact information is available below in the Medical Cannabis Pharmacy List.
STEP 2: Patient Applies with UDOH. Patients must apply for a medical cannabis card with UDOH at https://medicalcannabis.utah.gov/
STEP 3: Medical Cannabis Pharmacy Completes the Patient’s Application. A pharmacist at a medical cannabis pharmacy will complete the application after receipt of the “Limited Medical Provider Recommendation for Medical Cannabis” form. The pharmacy must contact the LMP’s clinic to verify its validity.
STEP 4: Patient Pays Application Fee Online. The Patient logs into their Electronic Verification System (EVS) account online and pays the medical cannabis card application fee.
STEP 5: UDOH Issues the Medical Cannabis Card. UDOH reviews the patient’s medical cannabis card application and issues the patient’s medical cannabis card. Once the patient receives their medical cannabis card by email from the UDOH, the patient may purchase medical cannabis from a licensed medical cannabis pharmacy of their choice.
- HIV or acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Persistent nausea that is not significantly responsive to traditional treatment, except for nausea related to:
- cannabis-induced cyclical vomiting syndrome
- cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome
- Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Epilepsy or debilitating seizures
- Multiple sclerosis or persistent and debilitating muscle spasms
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) that is being treated and monitored by a licensed health therapist, and that:
- has been diagnosed by a healthcare provider by the Veterans Administration and documented in the patient’s record; or
- has been diagnosed or confirmed by evaluation from a psychiatrist, masters prepared psychologist, masters prepared licensed clinical social worker or a psychiatric APRN
- A terminal illness when the patient’s life expectancy is less than six months
- A condition resulting in the individual receiving hospice care
- A rare condition or disease that affects less than 200,000 individuals in the U.S., as defined in federal law, and that is not adequately managed despite treatment attempts using conventional medications (other than opioids or opiates) or physical interventions
- Pain lasting longer than two weeks that is not adequately managed, in the qualified medical provider’s opinion, despite treatment attempts using conventional medications other than opioids or opiates or physical interventions
|City||Medical Cannabis Pharmacy||Street Address||Email Address||Fax|
|Brigham City||Beehive Farmacy||870 West 1150 South, STE C, Brigham City, firstname.lastname@example.org||BLANK|
|Cedar City||Bloom Medicinals||301 S. Main Street, Cedar City, UT email@example.com||BLANK|
|Lehi||Cureleaf||3633 N Thanksgiving Way, Lehi, UT 84043||Lehi.PharmD@curaleaf.com||BLANK|
|North Logan||Perfect Earth Modern Apothecary||2150 N Main, STE 1, North Logan, UT 84341||LoganLMP@perfectearthutah.com||BLANK|
|Park City||Deseret Wellness||1351 Kearns Blvd STE 110-B, Park City, UT 84060||LMP@Deseret-Wellness.com||BLANK|
|Payson||Pure UT||757 S 1040 W, Payson, UT||LMP@Pure-Utah.com||BLANK|
|Provo||Deseret Wellness||222 North Draper Lane, Provo, UT 84601||LMP@Deseret-Wellness.com||BLANK|
|Salt Lake City||Beehive Farmacy||1991 S 3600 W, Salt Lake City, UT firstname.lastname@example.org||BLANK|
|Salt Lake City||Dragonfly Health and Wellness||711 South State Street, Salt Lake City, UT email@example.com||BLANK|
|South Jordan||Bloc Pharmacy||10392 South Jordan Gateway, South Jordan, UT firstname.lastname@example.org||BLANK|
|South Ogden||Perfect Earth Modern Apothecary||3775 S Wall Ave, South Ogden, UT 84405||OgdenLMP@perfectearthutah.com||BLANK|
|Springville||Cannabist||484 S 1750 West, Springville, UT email@example.com||BLANK|
|St. George||Bloc Pharmacy||1624 S Convention Center Dr., St. George, UT firstname.lastname@example.org||BLANK|
|West Bountiful||WholesomeCo Cannabis||580 West 100 N, STE 1, West Bountiful, 84010||LMP@wholesome.co||435-228-5623|